Monday, April 5, 2010

Sunshine Beach

Sunshine Beach .........



The first two times my friend, Kabilan and I tried to go to Sunshine Beach, we couldn't find a place to park. We hadn't left early enough, the closer lots were full, and we were not certain how far a walk we might be facing from the more distant lots, so we simply gave up. I had been there once before, with another Friend who had brought me. Strangely enough, we had come late and had no problem parking. Had we been turned away that day, Kabilan and I probably wouldn't have ever tried it. Life turns on such small articles of fate.

Sunshine Beach is named because of a certain type of pale, translucent rock that is prevalent along the shore. Somewhere I have a rock I picked up as we walked along that day.

We had plenty of company. We had not been the first car at Carpenter's, and we were walking along with a good crowd of people who seemed to share our destination. I can remember catching sight of the actual beach as we got closer. There was a tremendous mass of people, too far away still to see that they were in full mood. I assumed that it was another textile beach like Carpenter's that we would have to walk through. There were just too many people for it to be a moody beach.

But I was wrong.

From that point on, we were hooked. We spent every possible weekend on Sunshine. Unfortunately, the beach was already being threatened when we started, so we did not get to enjoy it for long. We regret that we did not start going years earlier, but at least we did have a few seasons.

I particularly loved the surf. It can be strong at Sunshine, and the raw power of waves rushing my body toward the beach was exhilarating. On calmer days, I would just drift in the currents (though you had to watch out: the prevailing drift was toward textile beaches. You could easily find yourself in a place where they would not appreciate your bathing suit).

We'd snooze in the sun, watch the volleyball players, chat with people on nearby blankets, walk the beach, swim, and read. Finally, with the lowering of sun and temperature, we'd slowly, regretfully and reluctantly pack up and trek back home.

If my friend and I had not lucked into a parking space that very first day, Kabilan I might never have become so moody. If we had been just a year or two later, the beach would have been closed.

I miss that beach. We're now camp residents, which has it's own charms, and we don't get sand in our hair, and in our teeth when we have lunch, and I like our camp, but.. I do miss that beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment